Sunday, November 8, 2009

Letting Go






If there is one thing I have learned being a mother, it is that you have to let some things go. There comes a point when you have to say, "okay, what is important to me and to the health/development of my children, and what isn't". Things like discipline, politeness, kindness etc. are on my "do not let go under any circumstances", but here are a few of the the things I have let go, and they might suprise you:

1. Clothes. Madi can be seen at any point in the day wearing crazy outfits (see above pictures) , if she is even dressed at all. Tonight, she wore her swim suit to bed.

2. hair. I always thought I would have my kids hair done every day, however, it seems pointless when madi barely has a head of hair, and, because she is changing clothes so frequently, even when I do it, it lasts about an hour. The exception to this is church, at least when I walk in the chapel her hair is done, after that.......who knows.

3. socks. most of the time, my kids do not wear socks with their shoes. I put them on and they are taken off 2 minutes after getting in the car. My mazda is a sock graveyard. I can't really blame them, I don't like socks either

4.shoes. It is a rare occasion (usually church) when madisen has matching shoes on. And if they are matching (oh, rare of rare days!) they are on the wrong feet. She likes to do it herself and I have learned not to argue.

5. sleeping. I never thought I would let my kids sleep with me but when they come in in the middle of the night I am too tired to take them back to bed and face a meltdown because there are monkeys in her room. (I wouldn't advise this unless thery are potty trained through the night. Last night madi had an accident in our bed. Don't worry, I was fine, mark was sleeping next to her.....boy was that a rude awakening, for a moment he thought he had done it!!


My life is better and less stressful since I have put into practice the art of "letting go". What do you "let go?"

5 comments:

  1. This is hilarious. Good for you for letting go. It feels good, doesn't it? Every time I see Caden dragging my toothbrush around, or taking it to bed with him I can only smile.

    My favorite part is that Mark woke up to Madi's accident. So funny! (probably not to him.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny post. I love all the cute outfits. What a little fashionista Maddie has become!

    I let my kids jump on the furniture all the time. My mom taught them to do it at her house, and who am I to fight it? I also let my kids run around without clothes (but diapers and underwear must stay on) unless we are leaving the house. I don't know how they can stand it because my house is cold, but I'm not about to argue about that. I'm much more concerned with them beating each other up.... or destroying something with scissors. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it Marc! yeah I'd say you've loosened up a lot as a mom and I love it. You're such a fun mom and a GOOD one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marci! I can't believe those are your babies- last time I saw you had a newborn in your arms and I couldn't believe it then1!! COngrats! You have a beautiful family! Are you up in Eastern WA still? I miss your fam and I love it I just found all your blogs through Audreys! Tell everyone hi for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my hilariousness! Way to go, Marci! When I'm struggling in the future with children of my own who want to go naked and wear shoes without socks, will you kindly remind me of this profound wisdom?

    ReplyDelete